Janus

Two-faced Nitpicker

Artemis Fowl - Eoin Colfer Well when I first read this book a few years back, I gave up halfway because there were more interesting books to read *cough*Harry Potter*cough*. Until recently, I returned my sights to this series, embarking on the journey of munching and crunching the series with relish blah blah, I found out that this as exactly my favourite kind of book! Action, mystery, magic, ingenious logic, wit, with an awesome plot to match- I am officially a hardcore fan.

On a side note, I noticed that books (usually middle-grade) with guy protagonists e.g Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, Skulduggery Pleasant (I consider him a protag.), Alex Rider , are mostly more interesting, but mainly I think that's because guys mostly do action. We girls think. And mostly books with girls fighting are pretty mich just a small part, and everything else is flowers and romance. Terrible plot line. I like books with action or magic. Preferably both.

So back to the book.
Artemis Fowl II is a genius and a criminal mastermind, writing psychological papers and giving academically lectures- and he's only 12. His father has disappeared in Russia. His mother is not mindfully sound. The Fowl Fortune is slowly dwindling. So he concocts a plan. To capture a fairy to take their ransom gold. Which he actually does. He is of the right age after all, young enough to believe in magic, with the determination to exploit. Now we mst not forget that Artemis is no ordinary 12 year old. He is cunning, and very very smart. Every time he outwits the fey, I can only go Now how did he think of that? It's very intriguing to see him think of a solution to a seemingly impossible problem. I also learned a new swear word!-no matter that it is in Gnommish.
Eoin Colfer does not let us down when he says Artemis is a child prodigy. So if you like certain aforementioned books in this review, forget about considering to read the book. You have absolutely got to discover this series. READ IT.

Full review: http://pineforapples.blogspot.com/2011/09/artemis-fowl.html