Janus

Two-faced Nitpicker

Zombicorns (Zombicorns, #1) - John Green So those Zombiecorns of yours, John Green. They aren't uh, Zombie Unicorns as the cover seemingly suggests? No? Damn.
I really expected something that would make the Zombies Vs. Unicorns quarrel between Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier come to shambles(that, was not another one of my zombie jokes), not people having Maiznia!
But anyways, eating corns makes you a zombie. Yep. The whole etymology behind the misleading title.

Back to the story. This is one of the most realistic post zombie apocalypse books I've read. The others mostly used it as a colossal joke. It's not fun. It's not even meant to be fun.
Through the protagonist, Mia, we see a constant battle of morals- is it really justified to kill them? Are they really zombies? or is it just a virus?
On the other side we have the single, narrow-minded supporting chracter, Caroline, who has no qualms on shooting the Z'ed up.
The massive hopelessness and melancholia is felt throughout the whole book. How Mia is forced to do certain things, because of survival, like her final decision. Caroline also pushed her hand, ultimately, in both ways I suppose.
I don't think that kind of post-apocalyptic future can pull itself out of the muck it has made. Is it possible? The question "For the greater good" surrounds most of the action, ranging from stealing food to killing the Zs. But of course, in this case, "For the greater good that ultimately benefits I, me, myself." which would cease to allow the society to exist because when it comes down to survival, we become very selfish unless you opt for zuicide, and that doesn't really boost the hope of having a society, which is basically people living in harmony, because oh boy selfishness is so much like harmony isn't it mon cherie?

I enjoyed reading this, and John Green, your cover is one nasty lier with a very long nose. Or should I say snout?