Janus

Two-faced Nitpicker

Haven - Kristi Cook I have mixed reactions to this book.
I enjoyed the beginning- nice girl, nice stepmom, dead parents, gets into a nice boarding school, has great friends, captures the interest of this hot dude, and oh hey, don't forget she's precognitive in a school full of psychics, but yeah life's great.

BUT THEN, SHE FOUND OUT SOMETHING,
and things pretty much went downhill from there.

The blurb was what first enticed me. The cover was quite the turnoff- haven't you heard of rule of the third?

The beginning was absolutely wonderful, would have been one of the best books I've read, but then it soon became Evernight and Twilight with a bad case of split personality disorder.

If I could, I would split this book in half:
1) Friendly, smiley, pre-secret Jenna
2) Moody, jealous, post-secret Jenna
It was as if she had major mood swings- even the the tone of the book felt darker to me.
Plus the cliches, OH THE CLICHES. He just had to be some English Lord hmmm?! Not to forget, let's see, the butler (sort of), the damsel, the enemy, and the traitor.

Anyways, I decided to cut the author some slack, because this is after all her debut novel, and the first part of the book was pretty good, so 3 stars it is.