Janus

Two-faced Nitpicker

Ponies - Kij Johnson Short, morbid, yet the message that get's across is clear.

This story is mainly about fitting in, being what is considered the "in" crowd or in this case, TheOtherGirls.

The plot is very macabre, but powerful. It impressed me, for a short story. There is a price to pay for fitting in. And when you decide that it's not cut out for you, there are also consequences to be paid. Appreciate what you have and do not sacrifice it for the sake of being accepted. Sometimes, the thing you are willing to sacrifice might be your best bet. It absolutely horrified me, in a positive way.
The tone is very happy, innocent, childlike, but you know what they say about appearances.