Janus

Two-faced Nitpicker

Touch of Frost - Jennifer Estep Oh this book has great potential. The mention of Greek mythology was what initially intrigued me.
I love how the different mythologies are banded together in this one school :Greek and nurse.
However I wanted to see more types of mythology. Egypt has their magicians. The Irish have their Fair Folk. The Aztecs make pretty good warriors too.
I also felt that it was rather queer that Greek warriors would be fighting against a Norse god. I thought they would, you know, be fighting other creatures like the hydra or out on some quest. It'll be awesome if they were united against all their enemies, kinda like you help me I'll help you, win-win situation thingy.
But oh, did I love the mention of Valkyries. We don't usually see Valkyries in the fantasy-mythology genre.

The gypsy part was rather refreshing too. I always imagined them as flamenco dancers and being all nomadic. It was nice to have something outside the box, yet still within the parameters of mythology.

The plot was wonderful. The murder! Oh and for once, we can see how a friendship actually grows. Not like I-hate-you-then-for-no-reason-we're-bffs kind thing. And the murderer! Oh my gosh I did not expect that! Okay perhaps I may have contemplated that person as the murderer but still! I almost suspected Daphne you blithering fool. (oh and I was thinking if there was Greek mythology, why was there no descendants of Ares? He's a war god!) Ahhh this book was awesome, only a few inconsistencies that did not make it have that final star