Janus

Two-faced Nitpicker

Crewel - Gennifer Albin I didn't like Adelice.
Her name was a bad choice and didn't help me take her seriously (as did her "attempts" to follow her parents order to escape in order to save her from a life a DOOM and MISERY). But seeing as how the other characters in the book have equally baffling names it seems like the author REALLY tried to make this world seem like a different timeline, though it just made me have the impression that it took a little too much inspiration from THG. (At least some of the names in that one were taken from legit Roman ones)

Adelice was also too cocky and arrogant for my likes and often made foolish decisions that made me want to hit something (*cough*her*cough*). I know it's great to have a fighting headstrong girl as a protag but for a dystopia that is like giving your head away on a silver platter. She would have been MUCH more bearable if she could exercise diplomacy and logical thinking. No wonder her parents got riled up so much.

The plot was okay I guess, though it blends in with other dystopias like [b:Matched|7735333|Matched (Matched, #1)|Ally Condie|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1311704885s/7735333.jpg|9631645] and [b: Possession|8337087|Possession (Possession, #1)|Elana Johnson|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1350665736s/8337087.jpg|13192664], it was interesting enough to keep me reading until the end. I like the premise of an artificial man-made world and the idea of "weaving" and pure somewhat-virginal women who MANIPULATE the LIFE THREADS OF THE UNIVERSE but it didn't make that good of a lasting impression. I will probably not read the sequel due to lack of interest, mild distaste of protagonist and possible love-triangle shenanigans.