Janus

Two-faced Nitpicker

Stormdancer  - Jay Kristoff I feel like everything I wanted to say about this has been expressed by this, this, this and this.

It was terribly confusing in the beginning when japanese words were thrown around like the author assumed we'd know them (though there is a glossary, which I found out AFTER I READ THE BOOK due to it being an ebook and all.)
The slang, which is best criticized by other reviews far, far greater than mine, were also quite annoying. I know that Japanese people don't only say "Hai" as a term of accent and I know that they definitely don't say "Aiya", it being more of a chinese thing. The plot was dubiously long (have you seen the size of this book tome) though I did like the double crossing and Political Something Somethings. I feel quite cheated by the hype machine as it did not rise up to my lofty expectations, having fallen deep below. But still a 3 star-er.

But then again, seeing as how the author used wikipedia* as his ultimate and trustworthy source of research for an ENTIRE CULTURE (whereas other authors cry over tomes of books just to get behavioural aspects right), I shouldn't have pinned that much hopes on it.

*take a look at Q2 (I can hear my teacher shrieking -wikipedia is not a reliable source!!!!- and clobbering everything in sight)