Janus

Two-faced Nitpicker

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card Ender lives in a very bleak world, where he, a 6 year old, is sent to army school, which emphasizes more on the army than on the school part.
I initially started this book after I saw it in my school library, and the cover just screamed(very hypnotically) at me to read it. Besides, I was hunting for some good middle-grade science fiction.
I felt some of the words used were a little crass, but thankfully it didn't span the whole book. (i.e the strange obsession with the word 'fart' i don't know man these weird ontological allusions make me feel a little trippy and all why do you this?? huh???)

A major part of the book was dedicated to psychological games, and those really sickened me. I hate the teachers. They don't even TEACH in the first place, they were more of facilitators. The kids are their own teachers, and left to their own defenses, they have to learn how to fight by themselves in battle school. Ender's Game really takes the "kill-or-be-killed" rule to the extreme, and in the process I think it provokes quite a lot of thought about the real world we live in.
Are we really teaching our children, and do we care about their wellbeing? Do we similarly leave them in the survival of the fittest? and maybe we can look at current day policies: Does teaching less really lead to learning more, or are we actually crippling the slower-paced learners who may benefit society in the long run. Anways, just some food for thought.

I really really really enjoyed the part on the "invasion game", yes the games at the end. This is what I have been waiting for for the entire book, where all the stupid ass mind games and training and tension all culminates into this epic showdown. The twist was so unexpected and awesome and wow, still feeling great vibes post-reading. If nothing, READ IT FOR THIS.

Demosthene and Locke were the best characters(or pseudo-characters?) in the novel, though. That part was wicked cool. I won't spoil much but here the skinny: Two siblings. Political geniuses. Manipulating the Internet. *insert explosion noises*
YES. That amazing. Really, though this wasn't the focus of the plot it really blew me away. The way in which it was presented was really novel and nail-bitingly fun. Though a little reminiscent of the Keyboard warriors of our time, the political opinions, though challenging a fictional society, were really powerful and it just left me with so much to ponder and when I was reading it i just felt this little bubble of Enlightenment emanating from these two beautiful(some might disagree) characters. *sends hugs and kisses across the dimensions*

I would recommend this book to any science-fiction lover, and people who can immerse themselves in a book. I know people who would hate this book because concentration is really paramount if you are to read this. But anyways, just give it a try. I did and it rocked my world.